Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year

I used to think that resolutions were over-rated and over-done because people can get so wrapped up in sticking with the resolutions that they feel guilty if they fall off the wagon, so to speak, and then create for themselves a downward spiral culminating in low self-esteem and self-anger. In order to keep their resolutions, some write it out in a contract form. Some write it out on a piece and flash paper and let it go as the paper disappears in flames. Some have a partner or support group to help them. These are all great tools for trying to keep resolutions.
Recently, I have discovered that having a plan helps me better because plans arm me with the ability to make a satisfying (most of the time) choice. So, instead of thinking about New Year’s Resolutions as resolutions, this year, I am considering them to be plans. For instance, I have a resolution to only have beautiful and practical things in my house, so the choices are immediately narrowed down and I can make a better choice that more truly fits who I really am or want to be.
So, my resolutions are simple; maybe not easy, but simple: I will only buy or make things that are both beautiful and practical; I will eat what only tastes good and is nutritious; I will smile more and talk less; I will use up as much of my knitting stash as I can, which will cause me to be even more creative; I will buy quality over quantity or price whenever possible; I will practice present thinking, or being present, instead of dwelling on my past; I will clean my house more often and with better quality cleaners and tools; I will breathe in Peace more often instead of shouting out in excess emotion; I will laugh more and see the beautiful pony somewhere in all that manure; and most of all, I will not feel guilty if I do not follow any of this plan.
What are your New Year’s Resolutions, or your New Year’s Plans?
Namaste,
Jeanette M-H

No comments:

Look At What's In My Store!